Lead Teacher: Renee Montes DeOca :: email@example.com
Classroom Assistant: Michelle Michael :: firstname.lastname@example.org
Can you believe that we only have three more weeks left before the Winter Program, Bazaar and Winter Break??? The Winter Program and Bazaar will be on Friday, December 22nd. This is a really fun event for all. Each class will perform in the program and have a table at the Bazaar selling items that they have made. We will be practicing for our Winter Program and preparing our items for the Winter Bazaar. This year our classroom will be making wall art to sell at the Bazaar. A volunteer sheet will be sent out by the class parent, as the event gets closer. We will need parent volunteers to help run our Bazaar table and much more, but don’t worry, you won’t miss the show!
Here is a schedule for the event;
- Bazaar open 5:00 – 6:00
- Food Truck dinner service is 5:00 – 6:00
- Student performance 6:30 – 7:30
- Bazaar reopens 7:30 – 8:00
Europe research projects are due this month. Please guide your child throughout the project, but do not complete any parts for them. To avoid plagiarism, please make sure your child is using his or her own words on all portions. Your child will read their research paper to the class, so please have them practice reading it aloud. Their grade will be based on format, organization, legibility, knowledge of the subject, and presentation. This is a completely at-home project. Projects are due on December 8th. ***3rd years may choose to do a PowerPoint presentation instead of a poster***
Every month we will be sending home Scholastic catalogs. If you would like to place an order online, please visit https://orders.scholastic.com/LGZF4. Our class code is LGZF4. You can also return the order form and payment to us.
Book Orders are due on 12/08/17.
Important Dates in December and January
- Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 – Early Release @ 11:30 *Extended Care
- Friday, December 22nd, 2017 – Winter Program & Bazaar @ 5-8pm
- Monday, December 25th, 2017 – Friday, January 5th, 2018 – NO SCHOOL (Winter Break) *Jan. 2nd-5th Extended Care
- Monday, January 15th, 2018 – NO SCHOOL (MLK Jr.) *NO Extended Care
- Monday, January 22nd, 2018 – 100th Day of School
Besides the individual lessons the children receive throughout the week, during the month of December we will be reviewing all previously taught lessons for mastery and doing lots of independent practice.
Besides the individual math lessons the children receive throughout the week:
- The children will be practicing their addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division using the stamp game, multiplication board, and bead frame, according to their level.
- 1st years CCP lessons – They will be introduced adding two-digit numbers. They will learn about adding two-digit static and dynamic addition equations. They will be introduced to ten more and ten less. They will learn about increasing or decreasing a particular number by ten.
- 2nd years CCP lessons – They will be introduced to mentally adding and subtracting 10 or 100. They will also be introduced to measuring length in inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
- 3rd years CCP lessons – They will be introduced to fractions as quantities involving numerators greater than 1 and to representing fractions on a number line. They will also be introduced to understanding and writing equivalent fractions.
The students will be presenting their Europe research projects to the class starting on Monday, December 11th, 2017.
Virtues of the Month
During the month we will be discussing a virtue weekly with the children. Your help in reminding them about these virtues and how to practice them would be greatly appreciated.
- Love – Love is caring for someone, wanting to be near them, and wanting to share with them. Loving people means treating them with special care and kindness because they mean so much to you. You can show love in a smile, a pleasant way of speaking, a thoughtful act, or with a hug.
- Generosity – Generosity is giving and sharing. It is giving freely because you want to, not with the idea of receiving attention, a reward, or a gift in return. Giving freely also means you give without concern for what someone does with your gift.
- Honesty – Being honest is being sincere, open, trustworthy, and truthful. Honesty is telling the truth no matter what. It is being truthful even when admitting the truth could make someone disappointed. Honesty means not exaggerating something just to impress others.
Composers of the Month
During the month of December, we will learn about the following composers and compositions:
- Arcangelo Corelli – Christmas Concerto
- George Frideric Handel – The Messiah and the Glory
- Various Composers – Christmas Carols